Monday, 1 September 2014

Lemon Delight Cake

Hey all! Sorry about the abandonment of the back-to-school countdown, but I swear once school started I began flying around. One week, and I have volunteered for the talent show, the Urdu Drama, and my own baking club is starting at school this week (yikes! More on that later).


Please ignore the hashtag on the cake...

So, August 14th was my father's birthday. And yes, that's Pakistan's Youm-e-Azaadi (independence day) too. Which explains the #IRONY on the cake.


Okay, I'm not gonna talk much now cos I'm starting to doze off right here and still have a recipe to write ×_×
So, my dad hates everything chocolate. At first I was going to make a campfire cake, but then I saw this amazing lemon meringue cake online... and my dad loves lemons ;). I left out the meringue, though, since I figured they would become soggy, but the magic remains the same.


Happy belated birthday, Dad!

INGREDIENTS

Cake:
3/4 cup softened butter
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups flour

Buttercream:
1 cup softened butter
3 cups confectionary sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
Optional: yellow food coloring

2 cups lemon curd


DIRECTIONS
   1.      Make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 ° F ( 180 ° C ). Grease and line 3 round cake pans. Set aside. 

   2.      Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for a minute after each addition. Stir in the remaining ingredients and pour into the prepared pans.

   3.      Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.

   4.      Make the frosting: whip the butter and liquids until fluffy. Add the icing sugar and beat well. If desired,  you acn add a few drops of food coloring for a vibrant color.

   5.      Assemble the cake: layer the curd and cake. Let freeze for 30 minutes before frosting. Serve.

xoxoxoxoxoxox, 
Zoya ♡


4 comments:

  1. hi zoya its armeen i like your bolg it is nice what does ironi mean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Armeen!
      Glad you liked it! Irony means when there's a really funny connection/ coincidence between two things, in this case, my dad's birthday is on the same day as Yaum-e-Azaadi.
      Love,
      Zoya.

      Delete
  2. Hey Zoya,
    Hope the Baking Club works out well.
    When you say lemons, are you using the american versions or the south asian limes (nimbu)? Because i always find that the juice of limes is way more acidic than lemons. The trick lies in tweaking the quantity a bit, I guess.
    Anyway,
    Keep Blogging!
    Love,
    Anmol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Anmol!
      Thanx a load, my first class is in two days! O_o
      You're right about the South Asian limes vs. American lemons; I managed to get my hands on some of the latter (if you're in Pakistan, Hyperstar is where I found them), but if you can't, I suggest using limes, 1/2 to 3/4 of the amount given in the recipe depending on how much tartness you prefer/ tolerate (I think we both know that the American taste buds are more delicate than ours ;)).
      Happy Baking!
      Love,
      Zoya

      Delete