Tuesday, 24 June 2014

'How To Train Your Dragon 2' + 'Maleficent' Review

Dreamworks' How To Train Your Dragon 2 and Disney's Maleficent are quite the rage movies this year, HTTYD 2 being a sequel of the first hit movie, and Maleficent one of the many, many twists on Sleeping Beauty. Today, I'm going to give you guys reviews from sites such as Rotten Tomatoes, IMDb, and Metacritic.

How To Train Your Dragon 2 

This movie was extremely 'waited-for' by me because I was a huge, huge fan of the first movie. Back in January, when it was confirmed that the second movie was going to be released, I (along with a few other fanatics) went completely ballistic. Everyone waited and waited, and finally, on the 13th of June, it was released.
I later checked the ratings online and while Metacritic (which I have only now heard of) rates it with a 77%, IMDb gave it a 8.6/10 and Rotten Tomatoes gives a 92%.

Hiccup Horrendus Haddock III with his faithful dragon, Toothless.

Today, with no jam-packed theater, me and my sisters finally went to watch it (tip: avoid sitting in the first 5 rows). The movie moved me and quite a few others in the cinema to tears many, many times. Deaths are made very dramatic and sad (I cried more than I did during and sad scene, including The Hunger Games' Rue scene) , while during a cheerful moment, you have the urge to punch your fist into the air and scream "YEAH!".
Overall, I think this was an amazing movie, and if you decide to watch it, beware the tears! :')

Maleficent

I hadn't heard of this movie until a week before it was released because I was totally out of contact from the world because of my finals (ha!), I saw an ad for it on a billboard with the caption "SLEEPING BEAUTY WAKES UP". How could I resist? We booked our tickets in advance; time flew by.
Of course, I checked the ratings - not good at all for Rotten Tomatoes or Metacrtic with a 50% and 56% respectively, but reasonably OK for IMDb with a 7.4/10.

Angelina Jolie nails the part of Maleficent. Don't you love that background?
(Why is there a camera set in the middle of the woods? Aurora thought.)
Though the reviews were rotten, the movie was amazing for our family. The twist was amazing, and the best element was (SPOILER ALERT!) betrayal. The only thing is, Prince Philip's scenes made me super uncomfortable... (no offense, Philip!)
A very good movie, the role of Maleficent was one-hundred-percent-perfect for Angelina Jolie. No question, she pulled it off perfectly, the looks, the taunting, the evilness.

*                    *                  *

Well, to me, and, evidently, many other people, How To Train Your Dragon 2 was among the best movies ever, I would suggest it for ages 11 - 18; my sisters did not enjoy it that much. Oh, well!

Maleficent is amazing, too, though, but given the ratings, not many enjoyed it. This movie is good for most ages, if a bit loud.

Being a fangirl, well, I preferred How To Train Your Dragon 2 by juuuuuust a few dekameters. 
What can I say? I'm hooked.

I hope this encourages you to watch these movies of you haven't yet! 
I'm off to watch Dragons: Defenders of Berk. (You should watch that, too, of you enjoyed the movie.)

xoxoxoxoxox,
Zoya

No comments:

Post a Comment