Wednesday, 11 June 2014

DIY: How To Make Butter

Hey guys!

So,  finally my exams are (technically) over. All I have left is English and Social Studies, no big deal, much, 'cause there's no need for studying. So, exams are OVER! The day of our last exam, social studies (open-book) I'm throwing an end-of-school summer party with a water fight. Then I'm done for the year.


Back to posting. Butter. You know how the cell is the basic unit of structure and function in all living organisms? Just like that, butter, sugar, and flour are the same for all things baked. Obviously, I'm not so idiotic as to actually attempt to make sugar or flour (but hey, why not?), but butter ain't outta question.


I remember once I went to my sister's best friend's house and I was with her sister, Kareena. She wanted me to try to teach her how to make whipped cream. She handed me some heavy cream and a KitchenAid mixer (well, she didn't hand me the KitchenAid) so I gave it a shot.
While we were whipping up heavy cream and powdered sugar (which was working!!), Sanya and Kara walked in. "You know, Kareena, if you whip heavy cream it turns to butter," said Kara after taking a gander at the mixture. I knew that from the Internet, but I had never tried it.


When me and Sanya got home, my mom had put out some fat from the fresh milk and yogurt we got every day. She told us that she was going to make butter out of it. I watched as she beat the fat, known as malai, into a stiff, watery substance with a wooden whisk-like spatula. A few months later, I tried it myself, and it yields an amazing, fresh butter, salted or unsalted, whichever you prefer. If you can,  suggest using malai, which is milk or yogurt fat, if not, simply use heavy cream.


DIY: How To Make Butter by Zoya Mir
yields about 2 cups of unsalted white butter

Ingredients
3 cups heavy (double) cream or malai (milk or yogurt fat)
1 cup ice-cold, freezing cold water

Directions
In a large metal pot, begin to whip the cream or malai on a high speed with an electric mixer. It will start to get fluffier after about 45 seconds (picture 2) . If you'd like, you can set aside a portion of the stuff now for whipped cream when it looks like the third picture. Keep whipping until you see a bit of water coming out and the cream is stiff, about 3-5 minutes. Pour in the water and leave for 30 seconds to chill. Using your hands, form a ball out of the butter (fourth picture) and then into 1/2 or 1/4 cup logs (pictures 1 and 5). Use immediately or wrap in parchment or waxed paper and refrigerate or freeze until use.

Zoya :)





No comments:

Post a Comment