Monday, 24 March 2014

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Hey guys! My cake research report tells me that the red velvet craze is quivering again. Wait, wait, wait! If you've had bad experiences with red velvet, don't just scroll down now! Trust me, this is good.

I myself have had too many bad velvet experiences to count. A few years ago, when the craze started, I had a red velvet cupcake. Don't ask me how it was - bitter, dry. I promised myself that I would never have red velvet again.
Alas, last September I went through every type of cake and tried every one, too. My red velvet? Moist. Sweet. Chocolate. My favorite.

So, every Sunday night, before afterschool practice (did I mention I'm Honor?), I bake, create somethin' awesome for my crew. Last week I did chocolate chip cookies, and this week I'm going for red velvet cupcakes. Don't forget my cream cheese frosting!



Ingredients
2 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
A pinch of salt
1 cup white granulated sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened at room temperature
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 tsp red food coloring
2 tsp vanilla extract

1 cup cream cheese
1 cup softened butter
3 cups icing sugar
2-3 tablespoons milk

Directions
Preheat your oven to 350°C, 180°F. Line a cupcake tin with paper liners. 
Sift together the baking powder, baking soda, flour, cocoa powder, and salt in a medium bowl, and set aside. 

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for a minute after each one.

Stir the milk, food coloring, and vanilla in a small bowl.
Alternate the flour mixture and milk mixture into the butter mixture, going flour, milk, flour, milk, and ending with flour. Be careful not to overmix!

Fill your cupcake tins with batter, about 3/4 full. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out
clean. 

To make the frosting, beat the butter and cream cheese until light and whitish. Add the powdered sugar a little at a time,  and beat in the milk to reach the desired consistency. Frost the cupcakes as desired. Decorate and nom nom time!

Honor ♥
P.S. I'll deliver an Honor Update, the tenth one, tomorrow :)


No comments:

Post a Comment