Saturday, 22 March 2014

Herb Biscuits (NOT THE BRITISH SWEET ONES)

Hey guys! So, as I have mentioned before, I have been cooking since I was two. I had to stop for about six or seven months at the age of six because we were traveling back and forth. After that, when we finally landed in Pakistan, I started again immediately.

 Red velvet cake, cheesecakes, and cake pops were popular then, so I mastered them first and then moved on to the first savory stuff I had ever done. Breads were an easy task- yeast, flour, water and sugar -versus the flaky, crumbly biscuit. I was an amateur at that time and wanted something easy.

I looked through every YouTube channel, every food blog... and after some research, I came up with my own simple, six ingredient (or five, if you have self raising flour; use it and eliminate the baking powder) biscuit with NO buttermilk. I hate buttermilk, even if you use it in baking. Yuck.

Note that this is NOT A BRITISH TEA BISCUIT. This is an American dinner biscuit with herbs. Don't confuse yourself! (Or me, for that matter.)


INGREDIENTS
2 1/2 cups flour, plus more for kneading
1 cup grated butter
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder (don't freak out, now.)
1 3/4 tsp dried herbs (I use basil and parsley)

Preheat your oven to 350°F, 180°C. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, grease it, or use a silpat.
In a food processor, combine the butterm herbs, and flour and process to form crumbs.

With the machine running, pour in the milk in a thin stream slowly. After adding all the milk, turn out the dough onto a floured surface. Add more flour if needed. Bring the dough together,  roll out 2/3 of an inch thick and fold it on itself.

Using biscuit cutters (any size is ok) cut out your biscuits. Place on your cookie sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until no longer doughy from the center. Serve immediately.

Zoya♥

No comments:

Post a Comment